Sunday, February 5, 2012

!!!!Synesthesia!!!!

I found the articles on Synesthesia and Cymatics to be really cool and thought provoking. I had heard about Synesthesia previously, since a friend of mine was actually working on a screenplay about the condition a year ago. The idea of seeing colors when hearing a sound or looking at a sentence is crazy. It is really hard to fathom for someone that has never experienced the condition or done drugs that provide a similar experience haha.  I thought the "Synesthesia in art" article was great, getting to see and hear about pieces of work directly inspired by the condition; I particularly liked the story/process behind Vision by Carol Steen, probably because I have always been intrigued by acupuncture and also because the painting reminded me of a still frame from something Stan Brakhage would have created. While reading the articles I was thinking about films that I have seen that remind me of Synesthesia, a few of these films off the top of my head are Enter the Void, The Text of Light by Stan Brakhage, and some of the crazy shorts that we saw in Professor Kase's Avant Garde cinema class last semester. It was also crazy that as many as 1 in 23 people could have some form of Synesthesia! Although short, the article on Cymatics was also pretty cool, since it was all about another way to visually interpret sounds. All of these articles definitely have given me some ideas to incorporate into the projects I will be working on in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment