Monday, February 13, 2012

No Cameras, No Problem

I am a camera person at heart. I love everything about cameras and aspire to be a Cinematographer some day. This class interested me because it would put me out of my comfort zone since we wouldn't be working with traditional movie cameras much at all. So far in the class I have had fun, mostly because I feel like camera-less filmmaking is a more free-flowing artistic experience than traditional narrative filmmaking. It allows for more random and spontaneous ideas, probably because it is more of an individual artistic medium (like painting). Because narrative filmmaking relies on collaboration and team-work it is a process where a multitude of ideas are presented but most get de-saturated or are totally lost in the process of the film's production. I feel like although filmmaking is an art form, it is extremely complex when compared to the process of painting, drawing, or sculpting.  Camera-less filmmaking, on the other hand, more closely resembles an art form like painting because the artist is manipulating the film negative like it's a canvas or a ball of clay. The experience is more direct and organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment